How to Build Sustainably
Building Sustainably is all about making effective use of resources and energy flows available to
the site. A Positive Footprints home is designed to:
- Use the sun to keep the house warm in the winter, heat the water and produce the power.
- Utilize breeze paths to channel prevailing winds to cool in summer.
- Collect the rain that falls, to be used efficiently throughout the house and garden.
- Harness the mass of the earth on which it sits to maintain stability of temperature.
- Utilize the land to provide native habitat and human nourishment.
More broadly environmental impact is minimised by:
- Choosing materials that avoid habitat destruction and limited resources.
- Selecting materials that are low in embodied energy.
- Implementing technology that uses electricity and water efficiently.
And lastly, a Sustainable House is one that has a sense of sanctuary,
is light and warm, connects the user to the environment
and is a healthy place in which to live and grow...